The history of Cambrian Hall began with the late Maharaja Judha Shumshere J.B. Rana ex-Prime Minister of Nepal. After giving up his Prime Ministership (1948) to his first nephew he moved to India upon the invitation of them Indian Prime Minister Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, and Home Minister Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. He settled down in Dehradun at 13 Young Road Dehradun Cantt.
Following the demise of the Maharaja Juddha Shumshere in 1952 and Maharani Gambhir Kumari 1955, their youngest son Col. Shashi Shumsher JB Rana in consultations with his two older brothers Santa and Rabi Shumshere JB Rana, converted the Maharajas home into a residential school for the children of the South Asia region. The elaborate infrastructure and the historic buildings spread over 35 bigas of land at 13 Young Road now serve as part of the campus of the Cambrian Hall School.
The late Col. Shashi Shumsher JB Rana a veteran politician and an educationist was a firm believer in the importance of excellence and innovation in education to promote social change and development in 1954, he approached Ms. Maude Mainwaring, a teacher at St. Josephs Academy whom he respected to assist him in opening a school and thus began an Odyssey. With only 5 students and Ms. Mainwaring as the only teacher coupled with the strong vision, firm commitment and the dream and hard work of Col. Shashi Shumsher JB Rana Cambrian Hall made a modest beginning. Today, with over 1400 students from varied backgrounds and outstanding alumni in many walks of life and spread across countries, Cambrian Hall is one of the most respected and trusted school s in Dehradun. It has excelled in academics as well as co curricular activities during the years. Dr. SC Biala is the current Principal of the school.
Cambrian hall is named ï¿½Cambriaï¿½ hillock in Wales, UK. The emblem of the school is a hand holding khukri against a background of high peaks. The weapon is the symbol of Gorkhas and schoolï¿½s founder Col. Shashi's family and the mountains are symbolic of the high and lofty. The school motto is To Greater Heights.