The history of Cambrian Hall began with the late Maharaja Judha Shumshere J.B. Rana, ex- Prime Minister of Nepal. After giving up his Prime Ministership in 1948 to his first nephew, he moved to India upon the invitation of the Indian Prime Minister Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru and Home Minister, Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. He settled down in Dehradun at 13, Young Road Dehradun Cantt.
Following the demise of the Maharaja Judha Shumshere in 1952 and Maharani Gambhir Kumari in 1955, their youngest son Col. Shashi Shumsher J.B. Rana in negotiation with his two older brothers, Santa and Rabi Shumshere J.N. Rana, converted the Maharajas home into a residential/day school for the children of the South Asia region. The elaborate infrastructure and the historic buildings spread over 35 bighas of land at 13 Young Road, now serve as part of the campus of Cambrian Hall.
The late Col. Shashi Shumshere J.B. Rana, a veteran politician and an educationist was a firm believer of the importance of education to promote social change and development. In 1954, he with Mrs. Maude Mainwaring as the first Principal, opened the school and thus began an Odyssey. With a strong vision coupled with firm commitment, five students and the dream and hard work of Col. Shashi Shumshere J.B. Rana Cambrian Hall made a modest beginning. Today Cambrian Hall is a leading school in the town with over 1600 students from varied backgrounds and an outstanding alumni spread across the globe.