The history of Cambrian Hall began with the late Maharaja Judha Shumshere J.B. Rana, ex-Prime Minister of Nepal. After giving up his Prime Ministership (1948) to his first nephew he moved to India upon the invitation of the Indian Prime Minister Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru and Home Minister, Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. He settled down in Dehradun at 13, Young Road Dehradun Cantt.
Following the demise of the Maharaja Judha Shumshere in 1952 and Maharani Gambhir Kumari 1955, their youngest son Col. Shashi Shumsher JB Rana in consultations with his two older brothers, Santa and Rabi Shumshere JB Rana, converted the Maharajas home into a residential school for the children of the South Asia region. The elaborate infrastructure and the historic buildings spread over 35 bigas of land at 13 Young Road, now serve as part of the campus of Cambrian Hall.
The late Col. Shashi Shumsher J.B. Rana, a veteran politician and an educationist was a firm believer of the importance of excellence and innovation in education to promote social change and development. In 1954, he approached Ms. Maude Mainwaring, regarded as one of the finest teacher in the town and to assist him in opening a school and thus began an Odyssey. With only 5 students and Ms. Mainwaring as the only teacher coupled with the strong vision, firm commitment and the dream and hard work of Col. Shashi Shumsher JB Rana Cambrian Hall made a modest beginning. Today Cambrian Hall is a leading school in the town with over 1400 students from varied backgrounds and outstanding alumni in all walks of life spread across the world over.
Cambrian Hall, one of the most respected and trusted school in Dehradun, has excelled in academics as well as co curricular activities over the years. Dr. SC Biala is the current Principal of the school.